According to Peter Schulman, MD, associate professor, Cardiology/Pulmonary Medicine, University of Connecticut Health Center, jumping rope's benefits are not limited to its major calorie burning. Jump rope is for the heart and body strength.
He notes how jumping rope strengthens the upper and lower body in a short time and improves heart health by elevating your heart rate."
- Warm up: Jump rope for 2 minutes to warm-up your body. Rest for 20-30 seconds
- Exercise 1: Jump rope as quickly for 45-60 seconds. Rest 20-30 seconds.
- Exercise 2: Do as many squats as you can in 30 seconds.
- Exercise 3: Do as many planks to pushups as you can in 20 seconds. Rest for 30 seconds
- Exercise 4: Do as many bicycle crunch as you can in 30 seconds. Rest for 1min
Repeat this alternating pattern for 20-25 minutes.
Increase Your Metabolism with Jump Rope
Alternate different exercises with skipping rope for 20-25 minutes or more to build lean muscle mass to rev up your metabolism so your body can become more sufficient at burning calories and fat.
Jump Rope HIIT
If you are already comfortable working with a jump rope, give this Jump Rope HIIT a try to spice things up.
Total Body Cardio
Jump rope is a good proof that it doesn’t take much to have a great workout. Because you can do it anywhere, it is perfect for outdoor and travel. Just make sure there is a plenty of room to perform it.
2 Things to Avoid When Jump Roping
- Avoid jump roping on concrete ground and other hard surfaces to minimize the impact on your knee joint. Wooden or carpeted floor are preferred. If you don’t have as access to carpeted or wooden surface, use an exercise mat on the hard ground to jump rope on.
- Don’t use a rope that’s too short or too long. Using a jump rope that’s not the right size for your height, it can make jump roping extremely uncomfortable and cause injuries. Make sure to pick the right size jump rope for your height to perform jump rope safely and get the maximum benefits from your efforts.
Where Should I Feel It?
You should feel it working your entire body. Jump rope helps in you quest to get sculpted abs. Your core really gets a hard workout since you have to engage your abs to stabilize your entire body to help propel your body through the air.
|45-60 seconds||3||Easy||Gym or Home|
How to properly Jump Rope
- Grab the handles with a comfortable grip. Turn the rope by turning your wrists in circular.
- Jump to clear the rope. Get in a rhythm to jump continuously for 45 to 60 seconds. If you trip, just start over again.
Tips: Try jump roping at a various speed. As your cardiovascular health improves, you’ll be able to jump faster for longer rounds.
Just keep in mind that jumping rope is a high impact cardiovascular exercise: going harder and faster can increase your chances of injury.